Thursday, March 5, 2015

Meal Planning during busy times...

Meal Planning....hmmm. Such an easy idea, but it can be a really big struggle for me. Especially, when I feel like I am chasing my tail. Like now! But this two shall pass and once again for a tiny bit, things will settle down. Just for the record, I chase my tail less when it is warm outside. Come on, warm weather! My focus is much better with sunshine and warmth, too.

Before I give my wonderful tidbit of how to deal with meal planning in those busy times, first let me tell you how this method came to be. Many years ago, when I worked outside of the home, my boss did the cooking for his family. He cooked the same meal every Monday, the same meal every Tuesday, the same meal every Wednesday! He did this Monday through Friday. I can't remember what each meal was, but I can remember they were really nice meals! He said doing this took all the brain work out of the whole process. He knew exactly what they (I think it was he that also did the grocery shopping.) needed to get at the grocery store. Both he and his wife knew what they would have each night. At that point he did have two little girls that were young enough not to realize what was going on...

I could never be this structured with my meals, but during a time or two many years ago, I sorta implemented a version of his method. I don't remember exactly what we had, but it went something like this-
Monday - pasta
Tuesday - seafood
Wed. - soup
Thursday - chicken
Friday - beef or vension

Monday's would be simply spaghetti or something more complex like Sausage Penne or Spaghetti Carbonara.

Tuesday could be grilled salmon or salmon patties.

Wed.  - simple soup or creative soups

Thursday - grilled or baked chicken

Friday - meatloaf, grilled burgers, tacos

Get the picture? I knew what to think about when it came time to plan my meals. Depending how busy I was determined the level of difficulty of the meal.

This can be easily adapted to meet any budget constraints, too. Mondays could be bean night with pinto beans, black beans and rice, etc. Tuesdays could be for salads like a simple garden salad up to a fancier salad. Wednesdays could include rice like dirty rice or wild rice.  Thursdays could be veggie nights(no meat).
Friday could be breakfast night. Choose your themes to make your family's likes and dislikes.

Happy meal planning!

Lynne




No comments:

Post a Comment