Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Manja's Family



Hi, I'm Manja. My husband, Seth, and I have 5 children. Our oldest, Moritz (no picture), is finishing up college and getting married this year. Then we have 3 more boys, Oskar (13), Maxwell (11), and George(8). Finally, our youngest, a girl, Nora (5).
Seth and I are from 2 different counties/cultures/continents. We met while studying abroad. I am thankful for my husband, his patient and forgiving love for me, his wisdom, and his bottomless barrel of entertaining humor. A great joy and strengthening for us in our marriage has been ministering to people together, learning about the same topics, and sharing our discoveries.

Homeschooling was something I discovered when my oldest son attended 2nd grade. I enjoy learning with and through my children and we love getting sidetracked (from our  oh so helpful schedule) by meaningful conversations or wrestling. Of course there are daily struggles with sin, but I am amazed at how God carries me through or even lifts me above the situation. Usually, I have no idea how to solve their quarrels and how to make them understand, but I am often not desperate (like I used to) and have a pleasant peace and sometimes I am even amused
by their
disagreements. I have found joy in praying for them and with them as the most powerful parenting tool. (Also, knitting, while sitting next to my child who learns to read relieves a lot of stress.)

Reading the other beautiful family introductions, I nodded in agreement with many of your pleasures and passions and found I am pretty similar.
I too, like to grow things in the garden. I have a small piece of my yard that gets enough sun in which I try to grow precious green things. Actually, this year I decided to grow a purple garden: purple beans, peas, cauliflower, ... George minds least helping in the garden. He is a hard worker. I had to coax the other boy's interest by giving them a crop to grow. So, Oskar produced a lot of spicy peppers last year and Max brought in the tomatoes and potatoes. I love food; growing, preparing, and eating it.

I too, like raising chickens. We also have rabbits; and turkeys and geese seasonally. Max takes care of the chickens and Oskar loves on the rabbits.

We too, prefer camping for our vacations. We love camping with a bunch of friends and learning to see more of God in his creation.

I find encouragement and inspiration in great books, old and new, written by great men. Most of them are not finished and are piling up in different parts of the house, but I read a piece of encouraging truth in one of these books, "Great books don't change lives, paragraphs do." And I hope to pass along some of these life changing morsels of truth as well as discoveries in above described interests.

I am already lifted up by your posts, and am looking forward to "struggling along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."                                            Love, Manja

1 comment:

  1. manja! I love the carrot picture! sadly I pulled mine too early this past season. Instead of waiting til spring I was too anxious and just followed the directions on the packet. there were lots of carrots, just very small ones! but I was left with a whole bunch of the tops. I googled what to do with those tops and learned it's an excellent source of lots of great nutritious stuff and so I just threw them in my bone broth. but now that broth really stinks, and the kids hate it. but who cares, it's got carrot tops in it! drink up! hahaha, loved your post. our families are very similar, and that creek picture with Norah looks like blue ridge? or Cohutta wilderness? we should family camp!

    ReplyDelete