Friday, January 2, 2015

The Great Tree Fling.

isn't it great that Christmas falls right at the beginning of a new year completely? I don't know the specifics of how traditions and calendars and cultures morphed over the years, but whoever finally decided that it should land at the end of the year and there it shall stay, I salute you.

when I take the tree down, and yes, it's always just me...maybe next year I'll leave it up and see how long it stays.....the closest exit is the front door. I have a great time flinging the door wide and heaving it as far as I can into the front yard. then, I slam the door. there, my responsibility ends. I wait for the children to circle it, hone in on it and pick it's branches, make something with it....it's become, in my mind, sort of an Olympic sport. the Tree Put. the Great Tree Fling.

then I proceed to every room in the house (there aren't that many), and also fling things into trash bags, rubbermaids, clothes hampers. if I'm tired of looking at it, out it goes. if i received two new shirts, I lose two old. if I have to read that particular annoying book one more time, it's gone. if his bin of trucks is over flowing, he loses a couple. if the girls haven't caught on to me scooting certain items under their beds, those are included in the Great Stuff Gathering and Flinging Event.

and so, the new year begins a bit lighter, cleaner, and maybe picked up (temporarily).

and that part is easy. I really love simplifying every now and again, I think it matches our family's heartbeat.  but, what of selfishness? and anger....am I opening that door, flinging it far into my yard? do I want it gone that badly? or do I want to just sorta move it around, find a different place for it, bury it beneath some other stuff I don't need....and move on?

my prayer is that along with the Great Tree Fling, I search my heart....allow Him in to point out the stuff that has built up, created barriers, shadows, and dust....and repent. repent of patterns, repent of  thoughts, repent of idols.

and then, when that door is flung open, the Light will surely follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment