Thursday, January 29, 2015

Soup Without A Name

Our most favorite, most frequent, and most versatile soup is ... well I don't think it even has a name. Or if it does, I don't know it. It was inspired by the chicken soup you find in Mexican restaurants.

I could name it what it is: "Pour Some Good, Hot Chicken Stock Over Ingredients of Your Choice"

It all begins by making you own chicken stock. I do it almost weekly. The picture of a sizable stockpot peacefully simmering on my stove makes my homemaker heart glad. Here is a picture of the recipe that I use as a guide:

(You do need to add a good bit of salt to bring out the flavor and make the meat tasty.)
     
This is what it looks like when you put it all in a pot. In this picture I actually used the bones and leftovers from a roasted chicken. In this case you can make 2 meals out of one. If I use a whole bird I would take off all the meat after boiling and use it either in the soup or in chicken salad, chicken pot pie, or quiche.


       Now, as you might have noticed, I actually did put in the chicken feet. You may or may not have access to them and they are optional, as the recipe points out. The feet in this picture are blanched in hot water and skinned before I add them to the soup. Because of all the joints in the feet, they really add beneficial gelatin.



Then I like to pour our hot chicken broth over:


pieces of chicken meat
cooked rice
chopped avocado
chopped tomato
chopped parsley/cilantro
add soy sauce and chili garlic paste to taste.


I have also poured it over:

- leftover enchilada filling
- leftover fried rice
- sautéed mushrooms and onion with cooked noodles
- nothing. This is a good liquid meal for a fast or sickness.
Lots of nutrients and easy to digest.

Use the broth also in:

- baked potato soup
- chicken and dumplings
-any other soup that calls for chicken stock


Best of all, it is a crowd pleaser at my house!

Manja









No comments:

Post a Comment